Business Visa Application Requirements for a India Visa
The consulate requires you to make a personal appearance to obtain your visa. For this reason INDIAN VISA DOCUMENT REQUIREMENTS is unable to assist you with your visa application. We recommend that you contact the consulate directly to obtain the most current forms and requirements before making your personal appearance at:
Consulate General India
2536 Massachusetts Ave. NW
Washington, DC 20008
Tourist Application Requirements for a India Visa
You must provide your actual signed passport, including one copy of the personal information page of your passport. Your passport must:
- Be valid for six months beyond the validity of your requested visa
- Contain at least two blank visa pages for the visa stamp (amendments and endorsement pages cannot be used to fulfill this requirement)
- Not be frayed, torn, separating, or altered in any other way
If your passport does not meet these requirements, please contact VisaCentral at 877-535-0688 for further details.
You must provide two color, passport-type photographs that meets the following criteria:
- Be taken within the last three months and printed on high-quality photo paper
- Be taken against an all white background
- Be two inches by two inches
- Provide the full frontal view of your head with your face centered in the middle and displaying a neutral (non-smiling) expression
- You may wear neither eyeglasses nor headwear except for religious purposes
- Your photos should not be affixed to your application and it may not display evidence of adhesive tape or staples
- Glasses cannot be worn in photographs
Additionally, one digital photograph must be upload when completing the INDIAN VISA PHOTO REQUIREMENTS form.
You must provide a copy of your driver’s license. Your copy must display your home address as it appears on your visa application form.
Please note: Your passport will be shipped back to the address indicated on your application under “Present Address” and the address must match your license or utility bill.
Note: All Tourist applications for U.S. passport holders must ask for Multiple Entries and 120 months validity. Remember that this must also be reflected in all other documentation.Visa Application Form
The Consulate of India requires a visa application form that is completed online. To access the form follow this link: https://indianvisaonline.gov.in/visa/index.html. Click on the blue button labeled “Regular Visa Application” in the bottom-left corner to begin the process. Your application must:
- Display your name exactly as it appears in your passport
- Include answers for all fields
- Be signed on the first page under the photo, and, on the second page. Both signatures must match the signature in your passport
- Include your email address on the online application. Applications missing a personal email address will be rejected by the consulate
- Be printed on single-sided sheets of paper. Double-sided applications will be rejected. You must fully print the bar code on the bottom of page 1
- Your passport will be shipped back to the address indicated on your application under “Present Address.”
At this time VisaCentral strongly advises against using the India visa on arrival option because the online authorization process lacks support as well as the travel risks and uncertainty surrounding the process.
- Note: All Tourist applications for U.S. passport holders must ask for Multiple Entries and 120 months validity. Remember that this must also be reflected in all other documentation.Visa Application Form
Additional Particulars Form
You must sign and complete the Additional Particulars Form found in this kit. All questions must be answered with a “yes” or “no”. Do not use N/A on the form.
In the case of an application for a minor child, both parents must sign the Additional Particulars Form.
VisaCentral Order Form
Provide the VisaCentral Order Form included in this kit.
Applicants Under the Age of 18
If traveling with a child or children under the age of 18, then you must provide the following additional documents:
- Photocopies of both parents driver’s licenses and a copy of the information pages of their passports. If the parents do not have passports, you must include a notarized statement stating the parents do not have passports.
- A photocopy of the minor’s birth certificate showing both parents’ full names, date of birth and nationality. Your birth certificate must be translated into English. You may also provide a notarized government document from your country of origin that shows parents’ names, the minor’s date of birth and nationality.
- Only for persons of Indian origin and former Indian nationals: a birth certificate, a previous Indian passport, or a school leaving certificate. Please refer to the “Persons of Indian Origin Only” section for additional information.
Additionally, all minors aged five and above must sign their name in the signature box on the first page of the visa application under their photograph. Minors under age five should affix their thumb print in the blue or black ink in the same box. For all minor applicants both parents must sign their names on the second page and have their signatures duly authorized with a notary stamp and seal on the second page.
NOTE: Both parents must also sign and complete the Parental Authorization Form for Minors included in this kit. This form must be notarized.
Persons of Indian Origin Only
If you are of Indian origin you are required to renounce your Indian citizenship in order to apply for an Indian visa. Please note VisaCentral cannot submit your request for a visa without the renunciation certificate. You must provide proof your of renunciation as one of the following:
- A Certificate of Renunciation issued by a Consulate of India
- An Indian passport containing a stamp of renunciation
Persons of Pakistani Origin Only
You must make a personal appearance at the Indian Consulate to process your visa if you are a person of Pakistani origin and/or formerly held a Pakistani passport. The consulate requires additional procedures in order to process your visa and VisaCentral is unable to assist in these procedures.
Frequent Travelers to India
A re-entry permit is required of travelers who were born in Afghanistan, Bangladesh, China, Iran, Iraq, Pakistan, Sudan and stateless persons if you wish to re-enter India in less than 2 months after your last visit.
Born in China or Hong Kong
If you are a US citizen born in China or Hong Kong, the embassy will require 30 days to process your application.
Special Protected or Restricted Area Permit
Applicants traveling in the following areas require a restricted area permit: Arunachal Pradesh, parts of Himachal Pradesh, parts of Jammu and Kashmir, parts of Rajasthan, Sikkim and parts of Uttarakhand. The permit application form can be found at: https://visacentral.com/forms?formname=RAP.pdf or type this address into your browser. If applicable, submit the completed form with the rest of your documents.
Former Armed Forces
Applicants who previously served in the armed forces may not apply for long validity visas for India. The consulate will only issue a 1-year validity visa to these travelers.
Electronic Tourist Visa
If you meet specific eligibility requirements then you may wish to apply for an e-Visa. The e-Visa is an electronic authorization from the government to enter India and is equivalent to a visa, but no stamp or label is placed in your passport.
To be eligible the traveler must:
- Submit for the e-Visa no less than 4 days and no more than 120 days prior to entry into India
- Must be arriving by air or sea at specific airports and seaports
- Traveling for a 180 day or less stay in India
Click Here to learn more and apply for an India e-Visa.
If you have been granted an India visa in the past, you must provide a copy of the most recent issued India visa.
If you have an urgent visa application that carries a tight deadline, VisaCentral can help you to save valuable time and avoid expensive delays. A VisaCentral expert will review all of your documents to certify your application is accurate, complete and ready for submission. We will contact you personally to quickly handle any mistakes ensuring your application is submitted correctly. Visit https://visacentral.com/visa-pre-check-service to learn more about this service.